By Shauna Dalton - Jan 29, 2008 The title of an article is in the Deseret News: "BYU students honor Pres. Hinckley in their own ways." It's not that long so I will just quote it here (Gordon's part)"During BYU religion professor Scott Esplin's class, Gordon Bean, 23, of Annandale, N.J., a senior majoring in bioinformatics, told the other students he is named after Pres. Hinckley. "My family really respected him," Bean said, adding his father, David, was named after David O. McKay."Gordon - That might be part of your 10 minutes of fame. It was fun to read, and also to see in print what your major is. Maybe I will be able to remember it now. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sidney J. Atkin - Jan 31, 2008 The last of September 1984 Ralph, Jerry and I were on a Western Airline flight from Salt Lake to San Francisco to negotiate the purchase of Sun Aire of Palm Springs. We had just got seated when in walked President Gordon B. Hinckley, Marvin J. Ashton, and brother Haycock. I stood up and shook hands and introduced them to Ralph and Jerry. President Hinckley said, "We have just aproved your Skywest loan". I said, "Thank you and I want you to know that my daughter Natalie and her husband thought so much of you that they named their first son Gordon after you". President Hinckley quipped, "I want you to know that we are on our way to Australia to name a Temple after you". When the three of us returned to our seats, Jerry said, "What was that comment about the approval of our loan? I Said, "Gordon B. Hinckley sits on Zions Bank Board and he had just come from their Board meeting". To know that the loan of eight milliion dollars was approved made our negotiations successful, and was a huge step forward for Skywest Airlines. Years later when Mary Ann and I visited Australia and saw that they had mispelled my name on the Temple, I wasn't upset because "It's the thought that counts". As Paul Harvey would say, "Now you've heard the rest of the story".
No comments:
Post a Comment